Equal People began 30 years ago by parents who wanted their children to have more choice and Independence.
Equal People’s mission statement says we aim to “Turning Dreams into Action at the Pace of the Individual.”
Equal People believes people with learning disabilities have the right to make the decisions about their own lives.
Equal People believes people with learning disabilities and their families and carers have the right to choose how they want to be supported.
Equal People believes people with learning disabilities have the same rights as other people in Kensington & Chelsea:
· The right to work
· The right to have sexual relationships and children
· The right to take part in community life
· The right to be safe from harassment and abuse
Equal People supports people with learning disabilities to:
· Find out about the opportunities we have
· Choose what we want to do
· Plan how to make it happen.
· Provide us with the information and support that we need to make it happen
Equal People staff support people with learning disabilities to:
· Speak and be heard
· Learn new skills
· Try out new experiences
· Understand responsibilities
· Gain confidence
· Be a valued member of society and fully involved in community life